Pages

10/13/11

I still follow the Life Journal online devotion readings everyday. I just don't always write in the format that I used to. It gives me something to "chew on" throughout rest of the day and something to meditate on while I pray throughout the day. Today, reading in Nehemiah 9 I came across this:
1 On the twenty-fourth day of the same month, the Israelites gathered together, fasting and wearing sackcloth and putting dust on their heads. 2 Those of Israelite descent had separated themselves from all foreigners. They stood in their places and confessed their sins and the sins of their ancestors. 3 They stood where they were and read from the Book of the Law of the LORD their God for a quarter of the day, and spent another quarter in confession and in worshiping the LORD their God. 4 Standing on the stairs of the Levites were Jeshua, Bani, Kadmiel, Shebaniah, Bunni, Sherebiah, Bani and Kenani. They cried out with loud voices to the LORD their God.
 This is something that stopped me in my tracks. How often do I spend my prayer time confessing and repenting? A lot of the time I just think of the things I've done wrong or messed up on and ask God to help me fix them. I never bring them before Him and actually repent. It's a big part of what we are called to do when we come before God and I've been slacking. Scripture usually paints a picture in my head. In this one I see thousands of people on their feet crying out and weeping to God for their sins. They also confessed the sins of their ancestors. They brought all the wrong that was done before God and asked for forgiveness. They wanted a clean slate. I want to be able to come before God and not only ask him to wipe my slate clean but to also forgive me for what I have done. Forgiveness He gives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment