Pages

4/19/11

BFFs

A life journal post from April 19th, 2011:

BFFs

Scripture: 1 Samuel (18-20) *20:11-17

Observation: Friendship is such a powerful thing. I have friends that are closer than family to me. We understand and relate to each other better than anyone and we can be completely honest with each other. This passage in the scripture describe an incredible bond between Jonathan and David. Chapter 18 says, "David and Jonathan became best friends. Jonathan thought as much of David as he did of himself" (v.1 Contemp. English Version). They were BFFs. I have a feeling that Jonathan saw the incredible call on David's life and after recognizing that potential he would risk even his own life to protect his friend and make sure he was not harmed. When I stopped to think of all of this another verse hit me. Proverbs 18:24 reads, "There are “friends” who destroy each other,but a real friend sticks closer than a brother." Another thought hit me- Christ laid down His life for us- because he wanted us to be saved- HE SEES OUR CALLING AND POTENTIAL. He is close to us- closer than a brother. Christ is even closer to us than our best friends. As I realize all of this I feel almost overwhelmed. I have always thought of God as my Father, or my protector or my teacher, not so much as my best friend. To realize how close He really is to us and know that HE LAID DOWN HIS LIFE blows my mind. Yea I've known he died for me but this way of understanding it was realized today.

Application: I will realize that as close as I am to a friend, the Lord is closer. He laid down His life for me- there is no greater love (John 15:13 "Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends"). I will realize this, and more importantly I will appreciate this.

Prayer: Lord, you continually amaze me. You are closer to me than anyone else. I praise you for the friendships you have given me and I thank you for the sacrifice and the love your Son showed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment